This recipe is a warming, satisfying blend of ostrich mince, red kidney beans and chopped tomatoes. The succulent flavours of the mince are brought out by the cumin, garlic and a hint of brown sugar.
- Recipe serves: 4
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 15 ml Olive oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 Clove crushed garlic
- 400 g Ostrich mince
- 400 g Tin red kidney beans, drained
- 500 ml Boiling water
- 1 teblespoon of Cumin
- 15 ml Cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of Brown sugar
- 400 g Tin chopped tomatoes
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion and cook on medium heat for 4-5 minutes, until the onions start to soften. Add the garlic and cook for a further 3 minutes, until onion and garlic start to caramelize.
- Add the ostrich mince and cook on medium heat for 5-7 minutes until the mince starts to brown, mix well, breaking the mince up with the back of a spoon. When the meat is browned, increase the heat and add the kidney beans, water, cumin, cider vinegar, sugar and tomatoes.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for 8-10 minutes on medium heat until the liquid starts to thicken.
- Serve in individual bowls topped with a little sour cream and some sliced spring onions. Serve with boiled rice cooked according to packet directions.